Now that the new windows and doors were on site, and my brother was available for an extra long weekend, we started work in the sunroom. The first step was to rig up a tarp over the windows and deck so we would have a sheltered work area.
. Since we would be opening up the wall, we also needed to isolate the sunroom from the rest of the house, both to keep the inside cats inside and the outside cats outside, and slow down the weather. We built a plastic enclosure around the back side of the fridge, re- installed window sashes in the center window, and installed an exterior door (from Kevin!)
With the site secure, we could start removing the existing windows. We started with the picture window – this was a salvaged window with a steel frame. We thought might have a use for the glass, so we took that out and set it aside.
With the door in place, we started on the big window next to the door.
After a visit from a furry inspector, we started on the upper windows. The wind was picking up, and really blowing the tarp around.
But we finally got all of the transom windows installed, which really cuts down the wind inside!